Archbishop of Canterbury to take a 3-month sabbatical leave next year for spiritual renewal.

        The Archbishop of Canterbury will take a three-month sabbatical next year for ‘reflection, prayer, and spiritual renewal,’ Lambeth Palace has confirmed.
       Justin Welby is expected to be away from May to July 2021, studying in either Cambridge or the United States. He will be examining the concept of reconciliation – one of the personal priorities of his ministry – during this time. Lambeth Palace – Mr Welby’s official residence – said it was ‘normal practice’ for archbishops to take time off from their official duties. Mr Welby would be in regular contact with his staff while away, the announcement made at the Canterbury Diocesan Synod on Saturday revealed. Mr Welby’s sabbatical had been scheduled for some time and due to begin following the Lambeth Conference in 2020, but postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
       The archbishop is expected to resume his official duties in September 2021. All members of the clergy are permitted to apply to take a sabbatical period every seven to 10 years. Mr Welby – who has been archbishop since 2013 – last took a period of leave in 2005. His predecessor, Rowan Williams took a three-month sabbatical in 2007, in which he wrote a book, and Lord George Carey also took two months off in 1997.
        A spokesperson for Lambeth Palace said: ‘The Archbishop of Canterbury will be taking a sabbatical in 2021 for study, reflection and prayer.’

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.