Islamic extremists believed to be affiliated with Boko Haram reportedly killed several Christians, including a pastor, and kidnapped several others in an attack carried out in Nigeria’s conflict-ridden northeast earlier this week.
The attack occurred less than 15 miles away from where Boko Haram abducted 276 schoolgirls from a government school in Chibok in April 2014, an abduction that garnered international attention. While some of the abducted Chibok students have been freed, over 100 remain missing. Uba Kolo, a member of the local Civilian Joint Task Force vigilante group, told The AP that the militants involved in Sunday’s attack killed males and abducted females. The Rev. Zakariya Musa of the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria, told Morning Star News that nine of the 12 killed were members of his church and one was the pastor of the village’s Church of Christ in Nations congregation. According to Musa, the other two who were killed were “vigilantes” from within the Christian community. Abwaku Kabu, the leader of a local government-backed militia, confirmed to Defense Post the death of two of its members who engaged in the gunfight against the terrorists. According to Kabu, two trucks of vigilante fighters came to defend the village but were outnumbered by the militants.
Ayuba Alamson, a Chibok community leader, estimated that about 70 homes were burned as a result of the insurgent raid.
Judith is a believer, a lover of Christ and a Gospel freak person. A passionate gospel blogger and press writer. I work with GospelHitsNaija.net Media, no 1 Gospel music platform.